WHAT IS MSP?
Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) is a guideline for best practices in the field of programme management.
MSP offers a proven framework for the implementation of changes and innovations with the help of programme management. MSP defines programme management as "the coordinated organisation and implementation of a portfolio of Projects and activities that help your business achieve its strategic objectives".
MSP is widely used in the public and private sectors. It provides a solid approach for supporting organisations effectively in the structured and target-oriented implementation of changes. The latest version, published in 2011, offers a structured standard that examines the main aspects of programme management.
Today, organisations have to hold their ground in an environment of constant and increasing transformation. Those that have learned to further develop themselves through efficient management and strategic steering, have a greater chance of survival. In this context, it is more and more frequently recognised that programme management is the key for organisations to overcome this transformation.
Big changes mean complexity, risks, many interdependencies and conflicting priorities which all need to be examined, analysed and assessed together. It has become clear that organisations are highly likely to fail in the implementation of changes, if:
- there is not enough support from the senior management
- there is a lack of management capacity
- the capacity and the capability of the organisation to change are assessed unrealistically
- the achievement of benefits is not prioritised sufficiently
- there are no realistic estimates of the future capacity
- the vision is inadequately defined and badly communicated
- the organisation is not able to change its culture
- the stakeholders are not sufficiently engaged
The introduction of a programme management approach, such as MSP, offers an organisation a structured framework that helps it identify stumbling blocks on the way to its goal and deal with them or remove them in time.